This recipe is exactly the same as the other one, except with fruit instead of chocolate and coconut. Its a very basic sponge mix but it works so well. This was my first attempt at using a piping bag- I’ve recently bought one but never used it so this was a new experience for me. I think it worked quite well, although I did make a lot of mess getting the icing into the bag!
Blueberry and Cherry Cupcakes.
For the Cake:
125g/ 4oz caster sugar
125g/ 4oz self raising flour
125g/ 4oz unsalted butter
2 free range eggs
1. Beat together the butter and sugar until creamy.
2. Beat in the eggs.
3. Gradually fold in the flour, vanilla essence, fruit (you can substitute with raspberries, strawberries etc).
4. Divide into the cake cases.
5. Bake at 180C/350F/Gas 4 in a pre-heated over for approx 20 mins.
6. Take out and leave to cool.
7. Cream the icing sugar and butter together until light and fluffy. Add in the vanilla essence and food colouring. Gradually whisk in enough milk to form a smooth paste.
8. Spoon the icing into a piping bag and pipe the icing over the cake.